Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Not Back to the Future

So it's been 25 years since the release of Back to the Future.

OMG. Seriously?

I know this because The Today Show told me. As Lainey said recently, the Today Show IS the news.

I loved that movie when it came out. It was so cool. Who didn't want their own time machine in a Delorean?

But I sort of had a flashback when I saw the whole cast on the Today Show. (just a side note: I saw Mary Steenburgen on the show and could not for the life of me remember her in Back to the Future. Then Kyle reminded me she was in the 3rd one. Not the same. Doesn't count)

The movie came out in the summer of 1985. I had just finished the 7th grade. For some reason I remember a lot of details of my life based on that movie release.

Here is a snap shot of my 12 year old (but almost 13) self that went to Northpark I & II to see the movie.

I woke up one morning in the summer of 1985 and could not get out of bed. My knee was so swollen that I literally fell when I tried to get out of bed. I ended up going to the doctor and getting the fluid drained out. (I eventually had surgery at 15 yrs old on that knee--but that's another post).

But I had to wear a leg brace that was from hip to ankle. And use crutches.

And then like any normal child of the '80s, I got a perm. I went to the J. Michaels Salon on Skillman and sat there for hours as they rolled my super thick hair into tiny plastic rollers. Then they covered it with ammonia and other stinky stuff. I did this the day before we went to see the movie. Remember you can't wash your hair for a couple of days after getting a perm?

So I tried to help with day 2 of the perm by using hot rollers. Not a great idea.

Yeah. So I went to see Back to the Future with huge, bushy, stinky hair--and braces--and wearing a large, white, Velcro leg brace. Using crutches.

I was praying I wouldn't see anyone I knew. Especially Mike Edwards.

I don't remember seeing anyone. But I do remember loving the movie.

Long live Marty McFly.


2 comments:

The Bindras said...

LOVE.
IT.

oh how I laughed out loud (even made Amby pause Glee) as I pictured you in your painful adolescence. What were we thinking with the whole perm thing? Were you wearing Guess overalls and an Outback Red henley? Keds?

I need to re-watch Back to the Future.
I heat Marty McFly.
and I heart the Richardsons. Thanks for making me laugh!

The Bindras said...

ps- I am now laughing that I accidentally typed "heat" instead of "heart" Marty McFly. And Glee is still paused.
oh, the 80's. How I miss your innocence and neon and really, really tall bangs.