Pages

Thursday, June 11, 2009

I am so popular

Think of the song from Wicked. Pop-u-lar.

Seriously, I am so popular right now. Well, actually not me--more like us and our house. Really, it is just our house but since I live in it--that sort of makes me popular too.

Every neighbor has come by to see us (it). I have had phone calls all day.

But not for the reasons I would pick. Take a look at what happened this morning during the storm.

We lost almost every tree in our backyard.

This picture is actually during the clean up but I can't figure out how to move it to the bottom of this post. We are at my folks using their computer. Because we don't have power--and won't for a while.


It must have been straight line winds at very high speeds or something. It literally uprooted one big ol' tree and knocked down two others.

It did hit our house. See the poor gutter? And the edge of the roof?

I was home with the kids when it happened. We were actually in the boy's room--right where the trees fell--when the power went out and the winds took out the trees. I heard loud, cracking and popping sounds and thought it might be really big hail hitting the house.
I got the kids quickly down stairs and immediately saw a huge tree right outside of our backdoor. That's all I could see out of the back door--tree, branches and more tree.
Then I got the kids set up with a movie on the laptop and sort of freaked out. It was actually a bit scary. But then Kyle, my folks, our tree guy (who happened to be in our neighborhood), followed by the roof guy, then the fire department, and then OnCor all were at our house. Plus, lots of concerned friends and neighbors.
The power is out. The yard is a mess with all the carnage from our trees. It will be a few days before it is all cleaned up. We have a 5ft mound of tree branches on our front sidewalk.
But we are safe. And have family close that can put us up for a night or two.
Oh yeah, my car that is sitting in our garage--has a completely flat tire.
oh well.




1 comment:

The B4 said...

wow--you poor guys! you lost so many trees! i know it was scary. we were scared too but our power stayed on. neighbors on our street had trees struck by lightning and one go through their roof. so glad you are safe, and i hope the clean up goes smoothly. prayers for you...Father, thank you for protecting Missy and her children, for blessing them with a home that was sturdy, for their resources to clean up and recovery. Please grant peace as they trust in You and may their "popularity" give them a voice to speak of You, so that Your love is known. In Jesus Name. Amen.