Pages

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Quirk #3--I am so not InStyle

I fancy myself a somewhat stylish person. Somewhat.

Yes, on any given day my clothes are off the rack--the Target, Kohl's, or Old Navy rack. But when I need to get dressed up, I think I know what works for my body type. I can do hair and make up pretty well when necessary. I can wear something other than yoga pants and Gap t-shirts.

But I have a glaring fashion blind spot.

The Purse.

The Handbag. The Pocket book (as Oprah calls it.)

Whatever you call it, I don't have it.

What I mean is, I don't have good taste in purses. It is literally an after thought for me.

But I also literally "don't have it." That is because two weeks ago we came home from the awesome Young Life banquet around 9:30 pm and left our garage open by accident. Someone came in our garage and took my purse right out of our car. They used the first credit card at 9:55! We were still inside talking to our babysitter and never heard a thing. So frustrating.

I had a couple of credit/debit cards that we had to cancel. Plus, I had to get a new license.

But I also had a lot of gift cards or store cards with money still on them.

Remember Quirk #2? I save things like that to use at just the right time. I have been sort of living in denial about all those cards. But now I need to live in reality. I need to say good bye.

Good bye Home Depot card with about $30-$40 still on it. I guess I won't be getting extra picture hangers or a new light fixture any time soon.

So long Mariano's gold card with several punches in it. I have to start all over to earn that free meal.

The perfect shade of lip gloss will have to wait to meet my lips. My Sephora card is probably in a dumpster somewhere.

The $29.57 that was still on that Dillard's card that was going to help purchase the perfect summer sandal is gone forever. In fact, there were several Dillard's cards in there. All from credit that we have been using for the last ten years--from our wedding!!

There are others. But I am letting it go. Forever. Amen.

But back to the a-fore-mentioned faux pas.

You know all girls have their thing. Some love shoes. They would give their right arm for a pair of Jimmy Choo's. (I am not even sure if that is how you spell it!) Some love designer clothes. I would make some joke involving designer names but I am guessing that using the names Merona and Daisy Fuentes in a joke wouldn't really be funny.

I am not sure what my thing is. I love beauty products but don't actually have many. But that's still probably my thing.

One thing I know for sure, purses aren't my thing. I couldn't tell you anything about designer purses. I don't recognize them. I couldn't tell a fake from the real--unless the pleather rubs off on my blouse.

I don't know what is cool, fashionable or even cute. I picked up two purses the other day and brought them home. I showed them to Kyle. He thought they looked, "MaMaw-ish."

That's not really the look I am going for.

I am a lost cause.

But think of all the money I am saving our family by not buying all those expensive purses!

PS. The kids keep talking about my purse getting stolen. We have tried to use it as a teachable moment if possible. Telling them that we forgive the guys that stole my purse. Evidently, the kids haven't.

Rhody is convinced that the people who stole my purse are girls. According to him, who else would need a purse? Bo said that the guys who stole the purse will bring it back when Hank grows up. Fat chance.








3 comments:

Caryn said...

Oh my gosh I feel you. The boys spilled a whole Gatorade in my one and only decent purse yesterday and after perusing what Daisy Fuentes and Merona had to offer I'm equally stumped. Sorry about your gift cards :(

Haley said...

so sorry Missy. Glad you are letting go, although I know that's so so hard!

The B4 said...

that's scary, missy. i'm glad you and yours are safe!