Pages

Monday, June 14, 2010

Just keep swimming

A lot of people are so sweet and think to ask me how training is going.

And I have this weird compulsion to answer in a very honest way. I just can't help myself to share probably more information than they were planning to hear. So sorry.

I am an over-sharer. Another phrase for the masses to use.

So triathlon stuff is going great. I love our team. I enjoy seeing everyone at practices. Fundraising is going so well. I have such generous and giving friends and family! Thank you. But the actual training is a little rough. I am way more out of shape than I thought I was.

But you know I am a glass is half-full kind of person. I think I look younger than I do. I think I am thinner than I am. I generally assume people like me -- unless otherwise notified. I think I am stronger, faster and tougher than I really am.

So, I am still having a great time but the physical part of it . . . well, I have a long way to go.

But I really want to share a few observations I have made about the sport of swimming.

If you plan to join the sport of swimming, you gotta let go of any pride you might have.

First, you will be in a swimsuit in all your glory. And these are not 'miracle suits.' They are functional not fashionable. There is no underwire or padding or ruching to camouflage some of our problem areas. Stretch marks and cellulite are revealed.

Also, you can't judge a swimmer by their appearance. This is where swimming is SOOOO different from most other sports. I have been schooled in the pool by people that are seriously obese. I have been passed by a man that was about 100 pounds overweight, passed by a woman who was probably 7 or 8 months pregnant, passed by a woman who was at least 20 years older than me. . . I have to stop now. I am starting to get depressed. You get my point.

I have come to this conclusion. Once a swimmer, always a swimmer. No matter how old you are. How big or small you are. Or how fit you are. That is good news for you swimmers.

I, however, have never been a swimmer and it shows.

But I am pretty sure I can swim the distance of the triathlon (1 mile). Slow and steady. Or just slow.

"Just keep swimming. . . swimming, swimming." --Dori, the fish




No comments: