Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

Who Am I?

So I have been thinking about stuff lately.

Why do I have so much gray hair? When do you use "gray" and when do you spell it "grey?" What's the difference?

Back to my point.

I am quickly approaching the end of my 30's -- in about a year and a half. A lot has happened in my 30's. I had all of my children. I did 2 triathlons. I moved twice. I got lots of gray hair.

You know how people like to sum up decades of our lives with what we learned about ourself during that decade? Well, some people do I guess.

So I think my teens were pretty typical. I was transitioning from being a daughter and sister to being Missy. I was pretty achievement oriented. I was into sports--mainly soccer. I was into school. Making good grades was important to me. Pretty good self confidence. Thought I could do a lot things.

My twenties were all about really figuring out the kind of person I wanted to become. And then try to become that person. I did a lot of ministry with YoungLife. Lots of kids. Met most of my closest friends--including Kyle and Jenny.

Then I turned 30. I had my first baby. And then another and another and another. Did I mention the gray hair?

But another thing that I realized lately. My 30s is also about figuring out what I am NOT. Evidently, I am not a lot of things I thought I was.

I am not as athletic as I thought. Or maybe I should say I am not the athlete that I thought I was. I gotta be honest, when I think back to my teens--I thought I was one of the most athletic girls in school. I was no Karen Warner or anything but I did play varsity soccer as a sophomore. Which means exactly nothing as a 38 year old woman with 4 children and desire to not do anything too physically strenuous.

I am not a "get things done" kind of girl. You know the person I am talking about. When their name is attached to something, you know it will be done well, on time, with no mistakes. The kind of person other people like to put in charge of things. I am usually that person only by default at times or if it involves hair styling skills. I have a few friends like this (Sarah & Rebecca to name of couple) and I am in awe of them. I can blame the kids (which I do at times) but who are we kidding--it's not the kids. The only funny thing is. . .I thought at some point in my life, I WAS the "get things done" girl. Now, if by "get things done" you mean two things, then I might qualify.

Now that I am getting closer to forty, I can not just eat whatever I want and let my fabulous metabolism do its magic--like when I was younger.

Just kidding. I was never that girl with the great metabolism. Not at 23. Not at 18. Not even at 13.

Evidently, I am not a reader, I am not competitive, I am not a great cook, I have no marketable skills (unless a business degree from UT from 1994 when Al Gore had just invented the internet counts).

I am interested in a few things (hair, make up, photography, design--you know, the deep things in life) but master of none.

Don't misunderstand, I am not down on myself. The realization of these things has just hit me lately. The Lord is good. He let me believe for most of my life that I could do almost anything. My Dad helped in that area too. But I can't. Never could. I don't need to be great at everything. I can be awful at somethings. Just not the important things.

Wife and mother and friend. I just need to focus on those things. (But wait, that's more than two things!)

Did I mention that my skin is aging like crazy since Hank was born? That's another whole boring post.



6 comments:

Chrys and Mike said...

I understand. I have been contemplating this stuff, too.

BTW, "gray" is the Americanized form of the British "grey". Thanks, Grammar Girl.

Grammar Girl also let me know that it is my blond (not blonde) hair that is turning brown. Brown is my gray/grey. :]

the bowlin family said...

girl, i love you just the way you are. i can totally relate to every word of the these thoughts, but i only have two kids. :)

Kristi said...

Hey! I was one of your YL kids and you (and Kyle) made an impact in my life! Thank you so much for giving of yourselves and your time WAY BACK WHEN!

I need to scan it in, but I have a picture of you and Kyle with Anne and Todd from the Garden of the Gods before any of you were married!

It's funny because in the same decade you're talking about, I too have gotten married (and divorced), had 3 kids of my own, have started getting gray hairs, and developing wrinkles of my own! I also have one of two chin hairs I have to pluck a few times a month! WHAT IS THAT ALL ABOUT!?!

You are wonderful the way you are and I feel blessed to have known you!

Kendra said...

Seriously? You are one of the funniest people I know! You are a rockin' mom, awesome baby holder :), and can't wait to learn more about that great friend part!!!
Hey, I just ordered my fancy new camera (thanks E for the great birthday present!). Want to take a photography class? We can force our kids to let us practice on them! :)

The B4 said...

Missy, I have way more gray hair than you. And I turn 40 in 7 months! I remember those YL days and always thought you were good at everything too! You are good at loving others, eating my cookies, making others laugh, writing, design, hosting, taking things in stride, seeing humor in life, mentoring, friendship, cooking (I remember a yummy meal you brought me after Luke was born. Pecan crusted chicken and mashed potatoes. YUM! You are also good at training for triathlons, performing skits, making Stouffers Lasagna & Poppy Seed sandwiches. Plus, you look good doing all the above! :)

Lindsay said...

I love this post...I love being one of your YL kids you loved on...and guess what else-I'm turning 30 in 10 days...need to be reflective...and I have a ton of gray hair...and can you please tell me what we are doing about aging skin?