Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Getting Ready

I was just thinking how things change. Not really how they stay the same.

I have a wedding this weekend that my whole family is involved in. We are all so thrilled. 

So I have been thinking through all the details of the weekend. What to wear, things we need, child care, etc.

Now go back about 20 years. What was it like to plan for a big weekend? A dance at school. Or a big date? I don't know--what did we do 20 years ago?

Here is my check list from 20 years ago:

-While watching Growing Pains, get out my laptop--scratch that--get out my notebook paper and Bic pen and brainstorm possible outfits and accessory needs

-Visit Northpark or Richardson Square Mall or hopefully the Galleria, see what is new at The Limited Express, Esprit store, what Guess jeans look cute, what over-sized, shoulder-pad filled blouse would look cute with those jeans

-Go to Accessory Lady and get gaudy-over-sized earrings that match outfit perfectly. Possibly get matching Keds. Or if outfit needs flats, get Hanes white or buff hose.

-Go to Tom Thumb and get new eye shadow--hopefully in fun shades of fuchsia, turquoise, and gold. Make sure to get eye brow brush to make eye brows look as big and bushy as possible. Thank you brooke shields.

-Make sure home supply of Aussie Scrunch spray and Stiff Stuff is adequate. Give myself enough time to curl all my hair in hot sticks or a spiral curling iron. And enough time to tease and place large bow in hair. (at sixteen years old--not six)

-Hope that my date is just like Jake Ryan and we end up driving off in a Porsche and kissing over a cake. 

A girl can dream.

Here is glimpse into similar list--just 20 years later.

-Make sure children have outfits and accessories for wedding. Buy numerous pairs of shoes for each child that don't work and then have to return them. Spend more time on them then on me for sure. 

-Buy first dress that accommodates house party guidelines and that makes me look pregnant and not just overweight. Hope that I already own accessories that will look decent with said dress. Send out some emails to friends if nothing works--looking for options. Drive in mini-van to pick up options. Pray that something works.

-Hope that I have enough shampoo and soap and a new razor to get at least one decent shower in the big wedding weekend. Two showers would be bonus.

-Buy and apply Root touch up in Golden brown to cover up the premature gray hair that is obviously unacceptable and easily correctable. Plug in straightening iron. Apply straightening balm and take as much volume out of my hair as possible. 

-Praise God that the bridesmaid brunch includes a pedicure. Between buying a house and selling a house (which equals two mortgages) I can't go splurge on a a non-necessity. Of course, I believe I read once that the accessory of the season is a decent pedicure. 

-Groom eye-brows. Remove all unwanted facial hair. (did it even exist 20 years ago?)

-Purchase maternity Spanks but doubtful they will be worn.

I am exhausted now. I am thinking of other things that must be done. Including eating and cleaning the house.

We can't wait Eleanor and Peter!

1 comment:

olivia and henry said...

i love that picture of rhody!!! so funny!!! ok, ready for a new post, mis! tell us about the wedding you went to! ;)