Pages

Saturday, May 23, 2009

It always comes back to Little House

Yesterday I woke up with shooting pains in my jaw. You know, right behind where the jaw bone ends and almost to my ear?

At first, I thought it could be referred pain from a tooth. No good for a pregnant person. You can't get much done (without anesthesia) while pregnant!

Then I thought I could have an ear infection.

Then I remembered that I have a history with TMJ or clinching my teeth at night. And I figured that was definitely where the pain came from. (just ended a sentence in a preposition--not good!)

The point is that I thought I might need to take some pain medicine or it was going to be a LONG day with the boys. Not easy to parent two little boys while experiencing shooting pain. Another one of my mommy limitations!

So I went to the medicine cabinet and then remembered that the only thing I can take right now is Tylenol. No-good, very-bad and more importantly ineffective Tylenol.

I had a moment of self-talk right then (as I took the Tylenol)

I need to be grateful for this medicine--as crappy as it may be. Because back in the "old days" they didn't have medicines for people-pregnant or not. I need to be grateful. I am grateful. But wait. They did have medicine in the "old days." I know they did. I remember they had morphine! 

Then the parental advisory episode of Little House on the Prairie came to mind. Not the one with the girl who was evidently abused or raped. That one gave me some bad dreams for a while.  

Remember when Albert experimented with Doc's medicines? He got a hold of some morphine and got immediately addicted. Back to my thoughts.

Hey, they had morphine back in the old days. They didn't have Tylenol because they didn't need it. Albert used morphine. Of course, he did literally foam at the mouth and vomit some sort of white substance. Maybe Tylenol isn't so bad.

And then I realized that probably 95% of the reason I never tried drugs as a teenager was as a direct result of Albert Ingalls and his unfortunate experience with drugs. It scared the crap out of me! The other 5% was because Nancy Reagan said that I should "Just Say No!" And that was enough for me.

So thank you Albert and Nancy. You saved me years of pain and suffering. And evidently foaming at the mouth.

PS. The Tylenol actually worked and the shooting pain stopped. I need to be careful who (or what) I have bad thoughts about!

4 comments:

gilesmissy said...

OK that is hilarious. I have ALWAYS been terrified of that Little House episode. If Albert can so easily become addicted, what hope do those of us who are not members of the Ingalls family have? I can still picture him throwing up all that white foamy stuff. Hope you feel better soon. Missy

CC said...

Hi Missy,

I came across your blog while searching for info about Chick-fil-a (that's kind of embarrassing to admit), and I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed it. It sounds like you and your kids have a lot of fun. Keep up the good work!

The B4 said...

LOL! really, you write some great stuff. hillarious! nancy reagan and albert ingalls. i love "Little House" the show and books. reading them to my boys.

the rape/abuse and albert's addiction scared me too, girl!

praying for relief and endurance.

Emily Tenner said...

Hey Missy! I just wanted to say I love reading your blog! It always makes me laugh and smile ~ you are such an amazing mom (and fashion stylist ;-)! We continue to pray for you and Baby Richardson, and also for Kyle, Lainey, Rhody and Bo as you all prepare to move, sell, pack and get ready for the baby! God is watching and protecting you all ~ Thank Him that it all happens one-day-at-a-time! Emily, Jason & Clark Tenner