Pages

Monday, November 24, 2008

I am so ahead of my time

I have been known to remember a few things in my life. Or remember almost everything. But several random things really stick out in my memory. I specifically remember certain outfits I wore throughout my childhood.

I remember the navy and white striped boat-necked knit shirt and matching capris I wore to the Monkey's concert in the 9th grade. To top off the cool outfit, I crimped my hair and wore some crazy makeup. It was 1986, I am sure it was pretty crazy.

I remember the first day of high school so well. I wore a mauve henley top with an acid washed denim skirt and brown belt. I had on strappy, Egyptian sandals (that's what I called them). More importantly, I met one of my best friend's from high school, Missy James, in Mrs. Williams Algebra II class.

I also remember an outfit from junior high school. You know those type of outfits that you are really excited to wear for the first time? This was that kind of outfit. I think I felt that way because it was a trendy outfit and I thought I would look cool (or more time-appropriate, I would look rad). What is really weird is that I went to a friend's house for a party or gathering in this outfit--they lived on Spring Branch. Fast forward 10 years, that could totally be Lainey!


See the shirt on the left? My shirt for the junior high party was similar but about 3 sizes larger and with sleeves. It was the 80's and everything was oversized! Plus, the shirt didn't have buttons--it had velcro closures!! So cool!
I wore it with black stirrup leggings. Like the ones pictured here. To finish off the look, I wore some Converse hi tops. I know, it is high fashion we are talking about.


My point is that all of that stuff (minus the velcro closures) is available at trendy stores now. Who knew I was so ahead of my time?

3 comments:

Kelli said...

This is funny. Lately I have been walking the halls at HP, thinking why are the girls in halloween costumes. Then I realize no wait that lovely 80's outfit is in style!!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited to be mentioned in your blog!!! I remember that first day of high school in almost exact detail. I had a hot rolled hair in a high ponytail with a red ribbon! Talk to you soon....Missy

Anonymous said...

Stirup pants are SOOOOOO bad. I know, we all did it, but can we make a pact right now that we will never do it again? We are not foolish teenagers anymore. The line must be drawn at stirrup pants. Let it be known that I will wear an acid wash mini skirt before I will wear the stirrups. Unless it's a costume party, in which case I will wear both:)

Got your emails...you are funny:) I need your playlist too. Always good to have new tunes!!

Happy Thanksgiving, my friend!