Pages

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Adventures with the Dentist

I know that many of you have finally got a second to yourself and you think, I am going to go read some blogs. Maybe laugh a little. Maybe pray for someone. Maybe learn a little something like how to make a fun craft with just a paper towel and a glue stick.

You know, something useful or helpful or entertaining.

Let me tell you, this post is none of those things.

We have had some teeth issues around here. Lainey had two stubborn teeth that would not come out. However, the two big teeth behind the little ones decided to go ahead and come on in.

So we had to go into our dentist to have them extracted. Needless to say, Kyle and I were not excited about that. Lainey isn't a big fan of the dentist or of pain. Not a great combo.

Much to my surprise, (I would say "we" but I took her to the dentist. I got the short straw. I was hoping that Kyle would do it but it just didn't work out that way.) Lainey did so well there. She was almost giddy as we walked back to the chair and got our bubble gum-flavored gas mask. She was talking up a storm. In her anxiety, she became chatty-Cathy. It was kind of comical really.


The whole process was really fine. The people at our practice are awesome and the whole thing went well.

However, when I was checking out, Lainey said she didn't feel good. Like she might throw up. We quickly ran to the bathroom where she did throw up in the potty. Twice. Happy times were over.

They "suggested" we stay for a while to make sure she was ok. We had to go to a back room and watch Dora. Can you torture a mom more? Sitting in a dentist office back room, on the floor with a nauseous child listening to high-pitched Dora say, "First, we go to the scary forest, then to rainbow road and then through the chocolate tree!"

Back to Lainey. She started feeling better and the color came back into her face so we were free to go. Overall, not too bad.

Sitting watching Dora. Lainey did not like the feeling of being numb.
She kept her jaw pushed out the whole afternoon while it was numb.


Ok. On to me. Let me make a long story short. I neglected my teeth for the last 5 years. It had something to do with being pregnant or nursing for a long time. But then it had to do something with being lazy.

I paid for that laziness. In the last month, I got two crowns and 5 or 6 fillings. That meant 2 three-hour appointments with Dr. Ashly.

And because I have no pride, I thought I would take some pictures of myself with the swollen, numb face and post them. I had to get extra medicine twice. I was literally numb up to my eyes. I looked good.

Here is my attempt at a smile! Pretty cute.
But seriously, it is not easy to take a picture of yourself with an iPhone. It takes skills.

3 comments:

The B4 said...

miss, you are so funny! giggling over here..poor lainey but your commentary on being in the backroom with her so real! (and funny) and your pics of yourself after dental work..girrl, why don't i get to hang out with you more? please let me. :)

i hear julia shoemake is the queen of tooth pulling for future reference. :)

The Bindras said...

you have hit a new low. I was glad to see that your dental work didn't slow you down while we were eating chips and queso last night!!you are HOT STUFF!

Anonymous said...

Yea...Dr. Ashly can really hook you up with the numb face, huh??

Motherhood is not kind to the teeth.