Pages

Friday, February 20, 2009

Life and Times of a Five year old

It isn't always easy being five--or green for that matter.

They are just smart enough to understand so much but still have so much to understand.

Like Thursday night, we had just gotten home from school, then Good News club, then soccer and then Nana's house and Lainey started whining. She was near tears saying, "Why? Why can't I just go to school whenever I want to go? Why can't it just start whenever I want to get up and get there? Why? And why can't we do centers all day at school? I always want to do the art center and I never get to do it enough? Why can't school just work like CCDC (her preschool) where you can just go when you want to?"

I mean, you gotta appreciate the sheer honesty and unashamed self-centeredness of my precious child.

How often do I really think like that? But I know that is not really acceptable behavior for a 36 year old--not that great for a 5 year old either. I still think and act that way sometimes. Wondering why everyone doesn't do what I want them to do or what works best for me.

The self-centeredness of a grown up isn't quite as cute as in a child!

On another note, Lainey has really been interested in Heaven lately. She has been talking about dying and Heaven. I guess she really isn't 2 years old anymore. She knows that anyone could die at anytime--this doesn't seem to cause her any anxiety at all. But what she is really interested in is exactly how does one get to Heaven. Physically--not spiritually.

When this came up, I explained that you get to heaven after you die if you have a personal relationship with Jesus and believe in his death on the cross for the forgiveness of sins. She stopped me right there and said, "No, that's not what I meant. I mean how do you actually get to Heaven. How do you go from earth to heaven?"

So as I start explaining that it is not your body that goes to Heaven but your soul--and I am starting to really struggle with how I am going to explain all of this to her when I don't totally understand it myself, when she folds her arms across her chest and looks at me. She said, "I really wish Gabby (my grandmother who passed away 3 years ago) had taken her phone."

"Then she could call us and tell us how she got there."

Sweet, practical and logical Lainey. She is really thinking about things in life that are just not that easy to put your arms around. Especially little 5 year old arms.

4 comments:

Howell Fam said...

Oh my word, that is one of the sweetest thoughts. Lainey I have to agree with you girl- a direct line to the big man upstairs and several people that are already in heaven would be AWESOME!! Love you Lainey!!

the bowlin family said...

I love Lainey! I love the way that girl thinks. I often wonder the very same things. Olivia has a million questions about Heaven too! I'll just tell her to call the Richardsons next time I can't seem to explain.

the bowlin family said...

which will probably be tomorrow sometime. talk to you soon! :)

Unknown said...

okay---so i just went back and read several old posts and the one about you blogging in your head cracked me up! especially the one about eating veggies, running on the treadmill and having gas leakage...i am still laughing out loud!!!!!

Blair H.