Pages

Monday, September 8, 2008

Dallas, We Have a Problem!

I have been wanting to write this post for a while. I have some concerns. Mainly about very important, life-altering issues. All of which surround my style and fashion sense. I think I may have lost my senses.

I first noticed some symptoms when I had some free time and some extra cash and therefore headed to Nordstrom. What was supposed to be a fun and exciting shopping experience, quickly turned south.

I realized that I didn't know what to do once I got there. What department should I shop in? The sassy and expensive jeans section with fun and pricey tops? The juniors department where the clothes never fit quite right and I question the age-appropriateness all the time? Or the other section on the 2nd floor? I don't even know what to call that section.

I ended up leaving empty handed.

I am having hair issues as well. It is long and I have lots of gray. I always tell people that if you wear it in a pony tail everyday, then it's time for a cut. Also, if you actually take the time to dry and fix it and it still doesn't look good, it's time for a change. (Jenny recently went through this and got a cute haircut. Way to go Jenny). I have waited to cut my hair until after the triathlon. I have already made an appointment so hopefully this problem will be gone in a week or two!

But the thing that really made me question my fashion savvy and style sense happened last week. I receive several catalogs and magazines in the mail. A lot of times I toss them before ever looking through them. No time. No money to waste. I tossed the White House Black Market book, the Nordstrom brochure and others.

One catalog caught my eye and I sat down to look through it. I thought to myself numerous times, "this could be cute"-- "I could make this work" -- "I wonder how this piece might fit." Ladies, it was the Eddie Bauer catalog. Since when was EB, the beacon of fashion? Since never. I see comfortable, affordable, and durable clothes in that catalog. Not bad adjectives, just probably not the ones Stacy and Clinton would want for me to use while shopping.

I am afraid I am becoming what I never wanted to be. An outdated, boring mom. (I only mean that phrase concerning fashion, I am not slipping into a depression based on a poor self-image--at least, not right now).

Just some random thoughts for today.

10 comments:

The Bindras said...

woman- have you no shame? First you do it, then you BLOG about it?? Come on. There is such a thing as too much transparency! :)
Hey, at least it wasn't the...I don't even know what to type here- the Sear's catalog? But what do I know, I am sure they have some cute stuff! Other than washers and dryers, I mean. And you are just days away (no pressure!) from getting your lovely, long locks back in control. You will always be my fashion guru!

olivia and henry said...

missy,
you are funny! let's talk fashion soon. your place or mine. or maybe even nordstrom. ;)

kinsey said...

you crack me up.

Haley said...

oh no!! IF you are an outdated, boring mom, where does that leave me?

Seriously Missy, I don't think you'll ever become "that mom." You'll always be cool. Even if you lose a wee bit of coolness, you'll still be fun!

Rob said...

Everyone gets off the fashion train at some point (see: guys with parted hair, polo shirts (real Polo), no socks and penny loavers. They're out there).

It's a lot of fun riding this train... lots of people ask me when I'm going to get off and I always humbly reply, 'I'm ridin' all the way home!' Home = Heaven.

So I guess everyone gets off but me.
Rob
P.S. Today I wore a very cool Obey t-shirt, Old Navy jeans, taupe socks, my flame shoes. Lots of stares!

the bowlin family said...

you make me laugh. but seriously, you need to get back on top of fashion because you are responsible for keeping the rest of us looking cute. i had the very same experience the other day. i went shopping for some "cute clothes" and was only drawn to "comfy clothes." i ended up with nothing. disaster!!

Anonymous said...

I always thought Allison would look good in Eddie Bauer. She never went for it.

I think I am clueless.

Anonymous said...

ladies ladies, everyone calm down. just hang out with ME, ill keep you young. jk missy. the fact that youre worried about being the outdated boring mom, means you will never be the outdated boring mom. youre safe

Howell Fam said...

SLOWLY STEP AWAY FROM THE MOM JEANS and knit matching outfits. YIKES...not you Missy. I have complete faith in your fashion sense girl....now SNAP OUT IT and get back to intervening in people's lives where you can really make a difference.....you know haircuts, eyebrows, bras, makeup etc. :)

a-townblog said...

1- You have some of the best hair around.

2- You are racing in a freaking TRIATHALON. You are cooler than I will ever be.

3- Next time, throw away the EB and hang on to the White House/Black Mkt, J. Crew...you just got a little confused. It's ok. Just don't get confused again.

4- If I'm totally honest, I'm not sure where exactly I fit in at Nordstrom either. I always end up in shoes.

5- You make me laugh...alot.

amy