Pages

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Mommy Makeover #1

Welcome to the
First Ever
Missy's Mommy Makeover!

You may be asking, "Why a makeover, Missy?"

Good question.

I have always, always loved makeovers! Even in Seventeen magazine I would immediately flip to the 'before and after' section to see what color eye shadow could transform some plain girl into a beauty. Please note: I will not be incorporating any of the techniques that I learned in the February 1986 volume of Seventeen in any of the makeovers.

My favorite part of Breakfast Club is when homecoming queen Molly Ringwald gives loser girl Ally Sheedy a makeover. I always wanted Molly to do a little more to her hair!

My favorite current cable show is What Not to Wear. I love Stacy and Clinton--they are always right. My dream is to be on that show as a host. Don't think that I haven't often thought of many friends that I would nominate to be on that show! Alas, I will do my own makeovers and post them on my blog. Unfortunately, without the $5000 budget.

Anyway, I enjoy doing hair and makeup. I especially like the transformation of an entire makeover--hair, makeup, and outfit. But what is most important is what we believe about ourselves. That we (you) are beautiful because God made you unique and wonderful--He did not mess up! I believe that! This is just fun stuff. Updating ourselves. Getting out of the Mommy rut of yoga clothes, t-shirts, and pony tails. Learning how to highlight our best features. Dressing well for our figure. Taking time for our self that will honor our husbands and children. Did I mention having fun?

Let's begin!

My first Mommy Makeover guinea pig--I mean client-- is Nancy Pigeon. Nancy is married to Larry and has a daughter Gracie that is in school with Lainey. We met because the girls were in ballet and preschool together for the last couple of years. Nancy brought Lainey home from ballet every Wednesday last year! Thank you Nancy!

We were able to get to know each other more over the summer because she became my mentor/coach for the Triathlon that I completed 2 weeks ago. She found a bike for me to use. She actually taught me how to ride it--how to shift gears and brake!! Riding a road bike is not like "riding a bike." I needed a lot of help. She talked to me about everything. I am incredibly grateful for all of her encouragement this summer.

Nancy is a physical therapist and personal Pilate's instructor. The girl is fit. She looks fabulous. I just wanted to update her look a little. She had a good amount of gray hair that could easily be covered. She needs more volume and lift--that means some of the length needs to go!

Here is Nancy. Before.
Sad Nancy.

Nancy has great skin and hair that has natural body and volume. We just need to tap into some of those things.

Let me tell you that Nancy was a great sport! She was up for everything! She was ideal for a makeover. She was ready for a change. She handled all of my "honest" comments with humor and a great attitude. Thanks Nancy for still being my friend after this!

Nancy gets the initial chop! They took about 6 or 7 inches off total. She went to Artistik Edge in LH to get her hair cut and colored. Here is Shelly with her discarded hair!


After going to the salon all morning, she came over to my house for a makeup application. (see below the tragedy of her makeup collection!) They did a great job of her hair. She can wear it naturally wavy, straight or somewhere in between! Much more versatile than before.

After!
Happy Nancy!


Nancy has beautiful green eyes. She has great eyebrows and lids that are perfect for shadow. I applied tinted moisturizer--a great option for those of you who don't wear foundation and don't like the feel of makeup on your face. It gives you light coverage and an all-over smooth look. I highly recommend it.

Every woman needs an eye lash curler. It will change your life. This is the biggest thing Nancy needs to add to her makeup routine. I recommend this one!


Side view of the hair! Cute and sassy!


I also recommend using a large round brush for drying. Of course, products are important as well. I put velcro rollers in her hair for some volume and lift--they also smooth out the wavy hair. They are cheap and easy to use. No clips or pins necessary. You can get them at Ulta usually.

We headed to the mall to find a few pieces of clothing to work on building up an updated and fun wardrobe. Nancy needs clothes for work (dressy casual), church and fun! Ann Taylor Loft is a good place to start. It fits her figure well, reasonably priced and age appropriate! However, the lighting and cell coverage stink inside ATL. Oh well.

Nancy got this great little camel colored corduroy jacket. It fits her well. A structured jacket is a must have for your closet. She got a petite so all the proportions fit well. It can be dressed up a little but also great for picking up Gracie from school and running errands.


She loved this dressy casual outfit. The fun black ruffled shirt goes great with the pin-striped pants but will look cute with jeans and a fun belt and/or shoes! Shoe shopping and a closet clean out will be next!


Now for some fun! Here are some crude iPhone pictures of Nancy's jeans that I found in her closet. The pictures don't do them justice. They are a crime against fashion. The pair on the left: MUDD jeans from who knows when, way to light denim, unflattering whiskering at the crotch area, made of 99% Lycra--they are tight. They are her husband's favorites. The pair on the right: Tommy Hilfiger high waisted, slightly tapered but incredibly on sale jeans. Lesson here: Just because they are cheap (on sale) don't buy them unless the fit is good and the cut is current.




















On the left you will see Nancy's pitiful makeup selection. The pieces you see are Beauticontrol from 7 years ago or dollar store makeup! Nancy, Nancy, Nancy!

She said she uses the small little eyeliner when she is feeling brave--there is always a chance for retinal damage caused by a splinter from this decade old pencil!

We are heading to either Ulta or Target to replenish her makeup asap!

Thank you Nancy. I had a great time. Thanks for letting me laugh at your jeans, for telling you that I thought you could use a makeover, and for trusting me with things that are most important to women. You are an amazing woman and Mommy!

6 comments:

The Ratliffs said...

BEAUTIFUL!! Beautiful woman, creative and fresh ideas. What a great idea... do you take Mommy Makeover applications? :) Great job, both of you!

Anonymous said...

great job! i especially like her hair. she looks so much younger! really cute!

btw, i would be horrified for you to see my closet. and i would cry when you told me that nothing i have is in style. even though i know it's true. :)

chrys

The B4 said...

what's wrong with yoga pants??? ;)

The McLean Family said...

Looking good Nancy! Now you really are Fancy Nancy!

The Bindras said...

hot stuff!!

Anonymous said...

I found the information very interesting and useful. Keep posting such information.

-Alexis Scott