Pages

Thursday, September 11, 2008

On Our Way!

It is late on Thursday night and we are packing to go to DC tomorrow. Crazy! I hope I brought everything. You wouldn't believe the extensive packing list we had--just for 4 hours of our life. I sent it to Jenny just to show someone how much stuff I had to remember to get together.

It feels like just yesterday I ran into Rebecca Holmes at LA Fitness and she told me about the Nations Triathlon. I had 4 days to decide whether or not I could/should do it. I knew I definitely wanted to do something for the Leukemia Society but a triathlon? An Olympic triathlon? Rebecca can be convincing and you know I like a team of other women to train and talk to. In fact, one thing I am not looking forward to is that during the long triathlon, I probably won't be able to visit during the bike or run. I won't be riding/running along side my team!

Just FYI--we will be wearing laminated pictures of Gage on our backs during the race. Isn't that cool? I will be thinking of him often--especially during the swim. And probably during the last mile of the race! Gotta keep some perspective. Gage (and others) has to endure a lot more than an Olympic triathlon. He is 5 years old--in Kindergarten--being treated for Leukemia.

Blair is going to try to post to my blog during the day on Sunday. My dad will be taking pictures and video during the race. Stay tuned for more triathlon info in the days to come.

I have been overwhelmed with everyone's encouraging words, gifts, and emails. Thank you so much. I will remember all those things during those hours of non-visiting racing on Sunday. I am grateful for all the prayers.

6 comments:

Haley said...

Go Missy GO! We are so proud of you. We'll be praying from Boston!

Anonymous said...

Missy, It was great to see you last night. We are so proud of you and your hard work. We will be thinking of you and praying for you! Love, the Duckworths

Anonymous said...

Way to go Missy-----
We are so very proud of you and your teammates. You are each in our thoughts and prayers. Your special commitment to Gage is an inspiration to each of us. We love you---
Penny, Tom, Kate, Emily, Bill and Sharon

The Bindras said...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO- HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Watch out, DC, here comes Team Holmes!!! And, don't forget your waterproof mascera!! :)

SarahFifer said...

YEA MISSY!! We're praying over here at the Fifer household. can't wait to hear all about it!!

Hilary Baker said...

praying for you miss! so exciting :) you'll do awesome!