Pages

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Day 16 and a recipe

Today is Day 16.

That means we are over half way there! Yippee.

Just want to let you know that I am watching the Biggest Loser while typing this post. It is all Jillian--all the time.

The workouts are going well. She changes it up every weeks so we are learning all new exercises. I think it will be great to have all these new things to do.

I actually enjoy doing some weight/resistance training. Weird, I know. But I was sort of stuck in a rut. Eric Keaton taught me an exercise routine almost a year ago and that's about all I know to do. Jillian's book is teaching us all sorts of new and awkward moves like frog kicks and rock star jumps! Ask Erin to demonstrate!

Eating is going a little better this week. What helped a ton is that Jenny made me a menu for the week. Jillian's menu called for about 5 meals that included seafood. I don't do seafood. So the book was of no help to me.

Plus, we have enjoyed some of the meals this week. We had Chicken Scallopini tonight and it was a hit with Kyle and the kids. I will include the recipe at the end of the post.

However, for those of you who don't know me that well you might not know that I am not so great in the kitchen. So while the chicken was a huge hit--I definitely had some missteps in the kitchen as well (so did Kyle).

We were supposed to have garlic green beans. I was in a hurry and read the recipe too fast. I got some of the key measurements a little confused! It called for one tablespoon of vegetable oil and 1/4 cup of water. Yeah. I switched it. I kept thinking, "I can't believe we can eat something with this much oil in it!" So anyway, they didn't turn out so great. I was the only one who ate them.

Then the chicken recipe called for white wine. Let me be clear, I am soooo not cultured when it comes to wine (or much of anything). Seriously, I can't remember if I have ever bought wine before. I don't know anything about wine. I don't know any of the names, types, colors, etc. I just bought the cheapest mini-bottle that I could find. It was $7. Probably a pretty good wine, huh?

But the funny part is that Kyle decided to open it. Actually, when I realized that it had a cork in it, I told Kyle to call Jenny to see if we could borrow their opener thingy. Then he got one out of the drawer. I didn't even notice that we owned a cork screw. So Kyle being the man of the house and a wine connoisseur like me, decided to try to open the wine bottle.

Cork is a natural material and won't do any damage to the digestive system, right? Let me just say that we ate some cork tonight. We have a lot to learn about wine. (not whine--we got that down over here)

Here is the recipe:

Chicken Scallopini

Serves 4
Pounding the chicken breast halves into thin "scallops" cuts the cooking time in half but leaves the chicken moist and tender.

4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
cooking spray (olive oil preferred)
1/3 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon capers, drained
1 tablespoon Smart Start

1. Place each chicken breast between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Brush chicken with juice, and sprinkle with black pepper. Dredge chicken in breadcrumbs.

2. Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until chicken is done. Remove from pan; keep warm.

3. Add broth and wine to pan, and cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in capers and Smart Start.

just a side note: for Kyle and the kids, I put their chicken in some melted butter before I dredged it in breadcrumbs. Plus, I added a little olive oil in the pan. I also put the pan-fried chicken in a warm oven for a little bit while I was finishing the other dishes. Just to make sure that it was cooked all the way through. Good luck!

5 comments:

The Bindras said...

last night's dinner really was good! Gracie kept saying "I love this dinner!" Which, if you know Gracie, is huge! The funny thing about the wine is that we are clueless over here, too. I finally bought an opener after I embarrassingly had to borrow our neighbors a couple of times. I keep mine in the package, to be sure I know how to use it!! I am loving working out with E, B, and M. I am finally getting to be ok with the early mornings...5:35 am. yikes! And, as a bonus, the strength training and circuits are helping with my running! Who knew? Thanks, Mis, for getting us on board! And, Carrie's brownies were GREAT! (missy and I aren't so good with the cutting out all sugar and sweets!)

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the recipe, Missy! I'm always looking for good recipes that don't require hours of work and aren't too fatty! Thanks! Alicia Dean

the bowlin family said...

the chicken sounds yummy! i'm going to try it next week. thanks. i love hearing how things are going. you are too funny!

Anonymous said...

So PROUD of you girls!!

The B4 said...

so funny! the "wine" vs. "whine" part. :)
i know nothing about wine either, so i would have goofed too.

i have some great healthy recipes i can share if you want. most are from cooking light. they are tried and true and NOT seafood. i don't like that either but sweet kirk loves seafood and sushi. yucko.

anyway, if u want me to share i will. maybe sometime, you can get me a guest pass and i'll come do a workout with ya'll. just for fun. i'd enjoy being with all of you. i work out most mornings mon-friday and my best days to skip a day at my gym would be monday or friday.

would love to hear too--what is your group's goal in doing this jillian workout? fun? fitness? health? life style change? or just to run down a beach in a bikini? :)

btw, i watched biggest loser last week or was it this week-when that guy YELLED the "f' word at that woman. he yelled and shamed her in front of everyone, and i got fired up. i almost wrote 24 hour a letter and still might. that's just wrong!!!!!!! seems like jillian should have set some boundaries with him and that might be a part of her weight issue. just had to throw my thoughts out there of course! :)