Pages

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Some more about Lainey

Our bedtime conversation tonight.

I said my high today was taking a meal to our friends Marc & Trisha to celebrate their new baby girl! Lainey asks, "Why do you take someone a meal for having a baby?"

I think this is reasonable enough question for her to ask.

I said something about how new Mommies are sometimes tired and cooking dinner isn't always easy to get done. Plus, it is an easy way to show someone that you love them and a way to serve them. (pretty good answer, huh?)

That wasn't quite good enough for her.

She said something like, "But why are we bringing a meal to a Mommy with a baby in the car. (When we dropped off the meal, Trisha was in the car with baby Mia--pulling into the driveway.)"

I was a little confused about what she was asking.

Then she said, "But don't they have a Daddy? Why can't the Daddy get their dinner?"

There is that compassion we have been fostering for the last 5 years.

For those of you who know me and Kyle, just stop right now--don't even say that she clearly gets that from her mommy.

Oh, we are not done with the conversation.

She then asked why Mommies have to have babies and not Daddies.

I said something about how God designed it that way and isn't that cool and great because I got to have Lainey (Rhody and Bo)! Sort of fell on deaf ears.

She said that is because "God is the boss of everyone."

I was waiting for her to ask how she could get that job. The first thing she would do is make daddies get dinner for mommies--I'm sure.


Lainey in her new, sassy boots from Gobby and Diddy Daddy! She loves them.

Another funny thing happened with Lainey the other day.

During the wonderful time of cooking dinner, waiting for Daddy and keeping kids happy (you know, the witching hour), the kids were whining. Really it was the boys.

I know--shocker.

I said something brilliant and effective like "Please quit whining kids. I am serious."

Then I asked them to leave the kitchen if they were going to whine. They didn't. They literally were clinging to my leg. I then strongly suggested that they leave.

Lainey stood about 10 ft away with her arms lifted in the air (not unlike Moses with his hands in the air to keep the Israelites safe) and proclaimed, "All the whiners, come to me." (Of course, takes one to know one.)

Both boys went right over to her open arms and she just held them close to her.

It was hysterical.

But no, it didn't last too long.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH, still giggling about "All the whiners, come to me."

Chrys

Howell Fam said...

Tell Lainey that if she screams "all the whiners come to me" loud enough(or just give Erin a call) I will send Emma and Grace running her way as well!!
Hilarious!

blair holman said...

That cracks me up! Hope you're having a nice day "off."

Blair

The B4 said...

oh that is funny!!!!! can lainey come do that @ my house, "all whiners come to me?" i'd love it!