Pages

Friday, January 2, 2009

Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice?

I just came from telling Lainey night-night. We usually talk for a little while before bed--sharing our highs and lows or just chatting about life.

I left the room tonight after we had an "argument." It is the same argument that we have been having for about a year or so. She is adamant that Rhody's birthday is in February. I think today she said February 2nd. I politely tell her "no, Rhody was born on January 31st." She then immediately starts in with the whiny, fussy voice that tells me I am wrong!

I am wrong? Me? The one who actually birthed that 7 lb 15 oz (or 14 oz--I get Bo and Rhody confused). The one who had no idea that I was actually in labor and had to have an "emergency" C-section four weeks early? Anyway, I do know when he was born. He was due in late February. He came in January. Big difference.

However, my 5 year old daughter seems to think she knows best. I hate it when the topic even comes up. It always turns ugly. I just can't seem to blow that one off and let her think she is right. I mean--she isn't right. It is a matter of principle or something.

That little exchange with Lainey is just a snapshot of life with her right now.

She has been difficult lately. We have been trying to be more consistent. We have tried to spend more quality time with her. I was feeling like we spent a lot of time training or disciplining her but not just having fun together.

However, even when we would spend time together, it would always have times with her whining, complaining and displaying a bad attitude. So not fun.

It is a hard thing to say that she is just not very enjoyable these days. It's true but I wish it wasn't. I love her dearly. I can still see all the wonderful things about her even in the midst of this. I do hope that this will pass but I know that is not promised.

I think I am supposed to be in the "honeymoon" phase of parenting. Some Mom told me that once. It is after the newborn and toddler phase and before the preteen age. They are self-sufficient and yet still crazy about their parents. This doesn't exactly feel like a trip to Hawaii.

One thing I know for sure is that I need some divine inspiration and guidance. I will be praying for a new perspective with my daughter and new insight into that precious girl. She is uniquely and wonderfully made. I just want to be the Mother that God desires for me to be for her.

I will update life with the boys on another post. It involves a lot boogers, snotty ears, football and a lot of hugs and tackles.

5 comments:

Sarah Graham said...

i feel the same about Garrett - a little big for his britches with the new found freedom kindergarten brings about. i felt the same way with mason and now he is "mostly" enjoyable with a little less "discipling and training". i feel like all Christmas break we did TONS of training and not enough laughing!

The B4 said...

Father God, please encourage Mis daily as she loves, shepherds, and studies Lainey. Give her insight into the needs of her heart, so that she responds with grace, instruction, rebuke, or warning as needed. Provide fun times and laughter and the ability to discern when to "overlook an offense" and when to take firm ground. Soften and prepare Lainey's heart so that she responds to You. Give Mis and Kyle probing questions for Lainey in the tough moments, so that Lainey can think through her behavior and see her heart, reaching conviction that comes from the Spirit. Do a work in her heart that brings peace, love, and joy! Thank you for making her so uniquely and for entrusting her to Mis, a faithful, steadfast Mommy who needs You each day. In Jesus Name, we ask it! Amen.

SarahFifer said...

Honeymoon stage of parenting - is there such a thing? If so, sign me up! Thanks :)

The Bindras said...

thanks, Mis, as always for your authenticity and vulnerability. You and Kyle and Laines are truly amazing, and it has been a privilege to see how God is shaping each of you as you all 3 continue to grow in Him. The good news is that you have a lifetime together (remember, we say that about our spouses, too!!) to continue to learn, fuss, enjoy, cry and laugh together!! hey, at least she's got some good fashion sense...

Anonymous said...

The "training times" are tough... we've been going through that with Caleb (as you probably saw this morning at church). I know that desire to laugh and giggle more, correct and rebuke less. I'm praying for both our families that the Lord will give us encouragement along the way as we "struggle well" in our parenting/growing up.