Pages

Monday, August 25, 2008

First Day of the Rest of Her Life!

Today our sweet Lainey started kindergarten at White Rock Elementary. Overall, it was a great day. We had a good morning -- an early morning, but good. In fact, I am going to have to wake her up a little earlier than I thought. She is a slow mover in the morning. She cannot be rushed. No surprise to anyone who has known her long. You will see and hear some classic Lainey comments throughout the day. I have included lots of pics to help document this momentous day.

The school girl in her uniform.

We are officially WRE Seahawks. Is there such a thing as a seahawk?
You know Rhody would be afraid of it if so.


Sweet hugs before school. Rhody asked to go get her 4 times before 10 am this morning. Luckily, I think he realized that it wasn't going to happen for a while.
He definitely missed his sister.


Our walk up to the school. Don't worry, we drove most of it. Lainey never let go of my hand until we reached her classroom. I didn't really want to let go either. The saddest I felt was walking up to the school. But at the same time, it was so awesome to see the entire neighborhood walking their children up to school too. We are lucky to be in such a great community.

The official picture in front of the school. Still holding hands.

Daddy and his girl right in front of her classroom.

Lainey was so excited to get in her classroom and put up her backpack in her cubby. She loved the classroom. She loved seeing her name on several different places in the room. She found her place on the round table and got to work writing her name and drawing her self-portrait.

This was our wave good-bye! She was totally into her "work" that she didn't get sad at all. It made me feel so much better about the whole thing to see her enjoying it in the first minutes of school. She knows one little girl in her class and luckily she was at her table!

Just wanted to document the kindergarten parents there to wait for the kiddos after school.

There is Lainey with Mrs. Barnes! Lainey really likes her and we are thrilled to have her as our teacher. In fact, this morning during breakfast Lainey told us that Mrs. Barnes is a great teacher--before even one day in her classroom. That is a good start.

Right after this picture we walked to the car. The whole fam. Lainey started whining and complaining and asking me to hold her. I guess she didn't get the memo that it was 98 degrees and we have two other children younger than her. Anyway, I was not looking forward to our afternoon because of the first few minutes after school. However, what she was mostly frustrated with was the heat and being hot and sweaty.

So once we got in the car, she was ok. She immediately told us she had a "high and low" from today. Her high was that she got to go to kindergarten. Her low was that they had to listen a lot in kindergarten--and not talk very much. She went on and on about how she couldn't talk and had to listen the whole time!

I asked her about recess. Her response was that she saw Addie for a minute but it was hot and then she got tired. She said she was tired--not sleepy tired more like worn-out tired. I mean she was in kindergarten for at least a half a day by that time!

The other funny thing she said was that she really didn't like sitting on the floor today. I guess they had story time or something, and she said she would much prefer to sit in what she thought was the teacher's chair--not the floor. She said that chair looked "comfy."

She talked to several people on the phone this afternoon and so I heard a few more thoughts she had about kindergarten. She told Kathleen that "they learn a lot in kindergarten but they do not play in kindergarten." Mrs. Barnes is laying down the hammer!!!

Our promised visit to Sonic after the first day of school!

Lainey chose Jason's deli for dinner tonight. Oh boy. Then Nana & Pops took her for ice cream--just like we used to get on our first day of school.
I hope Mom drove because clearly Dad is under the influence of drugs.

All in all it was a great day. It really is the beginning of a new stage of life for all of us. In no time at all, we will all get used to it. But right now, it is all new and exciting and terrifying. We are incredibly proud of Lainey and hope all the days ahead of her go as well as today--minus the whole tired thing.

13 comments:

Joy Blocker said...

Oh missy!!! Can I tell you I was thinking about you alot today!! It made me realize how fast time does fly by!

Thanks for all the laughs in your recap...so hilarious!! Lainey is one lucky kiddo to have such wonderful parents!!

Hope the rest of the week goes great for her in kindergarten!!

Anonymous said...

uhhh i teared up at the waving goodbye picture. i cant imagine how weepy kyle must have been

Haley said...

That is so precious. Thanks Missy. I have been praying all day. Sweet, sweet Lainey Loo.

the bowlin family said...

ok, now your blog is making me cry too! i am so glad it was a good day. i bet the "tired" thing will get better with time. i prayed for y'all today. i can't wait for more stories that make me laugh.

a-townblog said...

It looks like Lainey had a great first day! She is a pro!

Isn't it amazing that you can prepare and prepare and then you see the school and you have to let her little hand go and you realize that she is going to be just fine without you for the day...and you can't help but choke up and see 5 years pass before your eyes?

I'm right there with you in 48 hours...and while I'm fine now, last year's experience tells me I won't be on Wednesday!

I'll pray for Rhody this week as he adjusts to his best playmate being gone all day...love the post!
amy

Howell Fam said...

Sweet Lainey!! I love all the pics and details. I am so thankful that today went so well and continuing to pray for the days ahead. I am proud of Lainey for sure, but as your friend, I am proud of you and Kyle too. A+ parenting :)

SarahFifer said...

Precious girl!!! I am so happy it went well. I can't wait to hear her and Abby talk about school to each other!! Hope the rest of the week goes as well!!

The Bindras said...

FINALLY- info! I need a kleenex! she looks like such a big girl! I love all of her comments. When we saw her (on her way home from ice cream), she was all smiles and still thrilled about being a kindergartener! LOVE IT! and about the hot, tired, and sweaty thing...preach it, sister!

olivia and henry said...

mis, this is your best post yet! love the full description (with pics!) of lainey's first day. really really wish we could have been there to see her off! :) sounds like it was a wonderful day. praying for y'all this week! we love y'all! tell lainey we're so proud of her!!!

Don Dinnerville said...

just checking out the blog for the first time in a while. good to hear that all is well, though i'm feeling older and older as all these kids of "people i knew when they were single" are growing up so fast! congrats on a good first day and some fun memories and traditions.

lindsay said...

What a fun and exciting time! I can relate sweet Lainey, after my first day of Kindergarten I came home and told my mom, "whew, I need a bath!"

kinsey said...

loved this. she is so cute and i loved her thoughts about "not playing" and "having to listen." hilarious! and probably what some of my first graders are telling their families too ;-/

Lindsay said...

Go Seahawks! What beautiful first day of school pics! I remember it well...thanks for refreshing my memories! I loved reading all the details of the day. :)
with love, (from a fellow seahawk- 6th grade graduating class of '92)
linds