Pages

Thursday, August 14, 2008

One Month from Today. . .

On September 14th I will be competing in my first triathlon. I am actually more comfortable with the word "completing" not competing! It is an Olympic length triathlon set in Washington DC. Please click here to go to the official Nation's Triathlon website to see more about the race.

I have been training since late May with Team in Training of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. We have coaches and a very specific training calendar that I have followed all summer. We sort of have a team within a team as well--Team Holmes. A group of us are "completing" a triathlon in honor of Gage Holmes. He is a precious 5 year old boy that is fighting leukemia. His mom (and friend of mine) Rebecca is our team captain and the reason we are all doing this together!

Here is most of Team Holmes at our first open water swim @ Joe Pool Lake. From left to right: Rebecca, Tori, Jessi, Kate, Bethanne, Karen, Ashly, me and Leigh! Go Team!

Part of my Team in Training (TNT) commitment is to raise a minimum of $4600 for the Society. It goes directly to help families who are fighting blood cancers. It also covers the cost of my training. Thanks to many of you, I raised the minimum and then some! I am part of the 110% club--I am not sure what that means but I get a special dinner while in DC. Please know that I am incredibly grateful and humbled that you chose to support me through this triathlon. It has been such a journey for me. It is definitely one of the hardest things I have ever done. But so fun at the same time!

I have learned a lot about myself through this experience. Let me just list a few of them.
1. It is hard to wake up early in the morning. I don't know how Matt Lauer does it every day!
2. Triathlon's are expensive! I have a lot of "gear" going on over here!
3. I have really enjoyed cycling more than I thought I would.
4. I have found swimming to be the most challenging part of it.
5. I am truly not a disciplined person--I have become more so--but it is not natural for me! I would have quit a long time ago if I were on my own!
6. I love training with other fun girls. (not really a surprise to know this one!)
7. I am ok going to the grocery store with cycling shorts on. (I didn't say that the 4 other people in the store at 7:25 am are ok with it--just me)
8. This could not have been done without Kyle's commitment to the cause and to me.
9. I like loud, fast pop music to run to!
10. Did I mention that swimming is really difficult? Michael Phelps makes it look so easy--not true at all!

Mommy returned home from an early run! The boys are usually up when I get home but want nothing to do with Mommy when she is sweaty! Kyle is the real trooper around here. He has really stepped up to allow me to do all of this training. Thank you Kyle!

Please remember me on the weekend of September 13 & 14! I will be swimming, then biking, then running on Sunday, the 14th. I would love all the prayer I can get for a safe and completed race!

Grateful to all of you for your encouragement and support!

Missy

6 comments:

SarahFifer said...

So proud of you Mis!! Glad to be a little part of it with you. Will be praying and can't to hear all about it. I can't believe you only have a month left. Way to go Kyle too!! You are a great husband (and daddy!)

Anonymous said...

yay go Mis!! I'm so proud of you. You're going to do awesome. Maybe you will have your CD by race day!! haha jk it will be sooner. promise. ps im proud that you go to the grocery store in your hot bikign shorts. one time molly and i went into 7-11 after a run in our sports bras. i've never been so scared, but it felt quite liberating!

a-townblog said...

Missy...I am so proud of you. What an amazing process. Will be praying for your last month of training... And of course that you swim/cycle/run like the wind in DC!!

Much love,
Amy

Mark Bowlin said...

i am so proud of you! i totally believe in you. i will be praying for you all month until the BIG day. Kyle you are awesome too! What an amazing experience to go through together!

kinsey said...

i am so impressed!! i will definitely be praying for you and can't wait to hear how it goes! and you look great...is that from training?! maybe i need to do a triathalon!

Haley said...

so very proud of you Missy. Can't really say it as strong as I feel it. This is just so cool.