Pages

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Moose, Moose!

If you know me well, then you know that I adore my across-the-street neighbor Ms. Sue. She is a feisty, funny and precious lady that I always look forward to seeing. She is originally from Georgia and has a southern drawl when she talks. She has signature colors: 1. Black--she usually wears all black and 2. Pink--the same shade of Revlon lipstick that she has been wearing for over 50 years! You know I love that!

I remember meeting Sue at the "welcome to the neighborhood" party that Mrs. Saye (amanda lewis' grandmother) hosted for me when we moved in almost 5 years ago. Sue was all dressed up in black. Hair done. Lipstick on. Sense of humor sharp as a tack. I wasn't sure she even liked me. But I did have a cute baby with me (5 month old Lainey) so I thought that might help with the neighbors.

Sue has been married for 61 years to Jim. They have 4 children that went to LH. They built the house across the street and raised their family there. She is now caring for her husband who has been sick for a couple of years now.

Don't picture your grandmother when I talk about Sue. She is witty, sharp, smart and up on current culture. She noticed that one of my friend's daughters looked a lot like Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's daughter. It took her a second but she remembered the name was Shiloh.

I love so many things about Sue. The stories she tells about her childhood in rural Georgia. The stories she tells about her life as a young mother and wife. The way she and Papa (Jim) enjoy our children. The encouragement I receive from her every time I see her. The way she cares for her husband--no matter how difficult it is.

The last several days Bo has walked down our sidewalk and then to the edge of the grass and pointed across the street saying "moose, moose." That is how he says "ms. sue." I take his hand and cross the street and then he goes right up to the door to "knock, knock, knock." Ms. Sue opens the door and he walks right in and says "hi" to Papa. My kids all walk right in and go find the toys and talk to Ms. Sue. I love it.

Thank you Ms. Sue for encouraging me in my job as a mother. You make me feel like I am doing a good job--that is such a gift. Thank you for loving all of my children. Thank you for caring for your husband unselfishly. We all love you dearly.

Of course, Ms. Sue doesn't actually have internet access. She doesn't see the need for it.

Lainey and Ms. Sue. I can't believe I caught her wearing white of all things!!! But it was Friday so she had been to the salon. You can thank me later Ms. Sue for capturing you with your hair done!

1 comment:

the bowlin family said...

i want to live and have a "ms. sue" in my life. you are so blessed. what a great post mis.